Sunday, July 15, 2012

Psalms on Sunday: Psalm 6












http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Scripture/Ketuvim/Psalms/Psalm_6/psalm_6.html

Psalm 6 is another serious plea for help. Verse 1 seems to be concerned about punishment from the Lord, which makes it sound like the speaker has done something to displease God. Verse 2 requests mercy and healing from God, because the speaker's body is in poor condition. His soul is also in poor condition, and he wonders when God will intervene and help him.


Verse 4 implies that God has left the speaker behind--he begs God to deliver him from trouble because God is known for his mercy. Verse 5 is a little curious to me; it implies that God should save the speaker from death so that the speaker can continue praising God, because dead people can no longer give him praise. But...God doesn't especially need our praises, and in the New Testament it is clear that people praise God while in heaven, so I'm not sure what to make of this statement about death.

Verses 6 and 7 are about the physical and emotional torments that the speaker is experiencing. The descriptions are very bold, particularly the image of crying so much that his bed is soaked with tears and his voice has given out. His enemies have brought him this sorrow, but it doesn't say specifically what these enemies have done.


Verses 8-10 establish a tone of victory, as if God answered the speaker's prayer somewhere between verse 7 and 8, resulting in his assurance that everything's going to go his way. He warns sinful people to get away from him because God has responded to his prayer and this does not bode well for the aforementioned enemies.

_________________________________

1O Lord, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.

2 Have mercy upon me, O Lord; for I am weak: O Lord, heal me; for my bones are vexed.

3 My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O Lord, how long?

4 Return, O Lord, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake.

5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

6 I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.

7 Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies.

8 Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the Lord hath heard the voice of my weeping.

9 The Lord hath heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer.

10 Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.
____________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment